Motorsports and Insurance
Excitement permeates the world of motorsports—there's nothing like the thrill of karting, or of driving your first IndyCar. Finding the line and cornering at maximum speed to overtake opponents and set new personal records are their own rewards.
But with the element of danger is the need for protection. Just as we wouldn't hop in a kart without our driving suit and a full-face helmet, comprehensive coverage is a must. Accidents will happen—that's a given—so it's crucial that we're fully suited up. Then, when these things do happen, we can jump back in the driver's seat ASAP, without so much as a glance in the rearview.
Zinc's options for coverage hit all the important points, and are as flexible as an Italian-made chassis. Read on for specifics.
Competition Vehicle Program
- WHAT: competition vehicles, spare parts, tools, equipment
- WHEN: during storage and transportation to and from events, while in paddock or garage areas
- WHY: physical damage due to fire, theft, trailer upset and most other physical damage claims
Coverages Available and Program Highlights
- Written on an admitted basis in all states (no surplus lines fees or taxes)
- Valuation of loss based on agreed value of insured property rather than actual cash value
- Coverage extends to competition vehicle under own power for incidental movement while in the pits
- No coinsurance
- Expediting and rental expense coverage included
- Flood and earthquake coverage while in transit
- ELIGIBLE: Race competition vehicle
- INELIGIBLE: Vehicles licensed or registered for public road use; vehicles not owned by insured or contractually obligated to insure
- KEY QUALIFYING FACTORS: The policy inventory schedule must include at least one competition vehicle; $500 minimum earned account premium
Motorsports Track Program
- WHAT: Losses at sanctioned events
- HOW: General liability coverage starting at a $1M limit for each occurrence
- Participant Legal Liability – Provides bodily injury and property damage protection in the event of lawsuits brought by participants. Insured must obtain signed waiver and release of liability forms from all persons allowed into the restricted areas.
- Products and Completed Operations – Covers bodily injury losses resulting from the sale of track products up to a $2,000,000 aggregate limit. (Does not include maintenance of competition vehicles).
- Spectator Liability – Provides protection in the event of claims for bodily injury or property damage brought by spectators.
- Personal and Advertising Injury – Covers false arrest, libel, slander, wrongful eviction and privacy.
- Unintentional Errors and Omissions – Protects against allegations of breach of duty in conducting the event – $50,000 sublimit.
- Damage to Premises Rented to You – Covers damage to rented premises as a result of promoter negligence – $300,000 limit for any one loss.
- Optional Increased Liability Limits – Liability limits up to $5,000,000 are available for an additional premium for each approved track.
Who Is Insured?
- Any person or organization involved in operating, managing, sanctioning, sponsoring or providing the premises for sanctioned events (this includes officials).
- Any participant, competition vehicle owner and competition vehicle sponsor in conjunction with approved sanctioned events.
Exclusions include, but are not limited to, the following:
- employment-related practices
- intentional acts
- damage to property in the care, custody and control of the insured
- losses arising from the ownership, use or maintenance of any automobile
Participant Accident Program
Participant accident medical coverage is provided for insured persons participating in racing events held at sanctioned tracks which include:
- practice, tuning and testing
- qualifying for racing and driving schools that have been endorsed onto the policy and for which appropriate premium has been paid.
Who Is Insured?
Class 1 and 2: Driver participants and non-driver participants in a covered event which has been endorsed onto a policy and for which an appropriate premium has been paid and who has signed a valid Waiver and Release of Liability and Indemnity Agreement. Insured must obtain signed Waiver and Release of Liability forms from all persons allowed into restricted areas.
Class 3: Drivers, mechanics, pit personnel, and officials of driving schools, but only while participating in a sanctioned driving school covered event which has been endorsed onto a policy and for which the appropriate premium has been paid and who has signed a valid Waiver and Release of Liability and Indemnity Agreement. Insured must obtain signed Waiver and Release of Liability forms from all persons allowed into restricted areas.
One of Our Benefit Plans
Accidental Death and Dismemberment (50% dismemberment scale)
Accident Medical Expenses
A deductible applies for each and every claim per insured person. The deductible can be waived subject to evidence of other valid and collectible insurance in some programs.
Coverage for accidental bodily injury of an insured person is limited to:
- The treatment or service of a legally qualified physician or surgeon, or a licensed or graduate nurse.
- X-ray examination.
- Confinement in a hospital.
- Ambulance transportation from the event location where the covered racing program is taking place to the location where initial medical treatment is rendered by a legally qualified physician or surgeon.
The insurance company will pay reasonable and necessary expenses of any services rendered within one year from the date of the accident, which are in excess of the deductible amount.
Please note: The information contained on this site is only a summary of the benefits provided. It is NOT a complete explanation of all policy provisions or specifics of the policy benefits. No coverage is extended and no representations are made other than what is stated in the policy. For a complete description of the program coverages, exclusions, and benefits, please refer to the policy.
- Hospital room and board will not exceed the semi-private room and board charge
- Maximum amount payable for physiotherapy shall be $1,000
- Only the cost to repair prosthetic devices, such as glass eyes, artificial limbs, and eye glasses, will be considered a covered expense
Exclusions include, but are not limited to, medical expenses incurred due to the following:
- A pre-existing condition
- Dental treatment
- Use of intoxicating beverages and/or narcotics
- Assault and battery
- Commission of a felony
- Self–inflicted injuries, suicide or attempted suicide while sane or insane
- Illness, disease, normal pregnancy or resulting childbirth, miscarriage
Coverage commences the day Michael Davis Insurance receives the completed application and premium, and terminates upon expiration of the policy. This period applies to both event liability and participant accident coverage.
Incident Report Forms
In the event of a fatality, spectator injury, or any injury requiring transportation to the hospital, immediately notify zinc at 440-526-2661 ext. 1.
It is the responsibility of the race director and the race promoter to see that any incident which takes place during a sanctioned event is recorded on an Incident Report Form and submitted by mail to Michael Davis Insurance no later than one day following the incident. Incident Report Forms will be made available at all tracks and events.
Membership Programs AvailableLiability/Excess Provider
: Admitted Rated “A-” VIII by A.M. Best
Participant Accident Provider: Best Rating “A+” by A.M. Best